Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Site Development: Site Criteria


As I began to think about the type of program I wanted to have that pertained to my thesis idea, I thought it would work best in an urban context.  I felt that since I wanted to model my thesis around the culture and society of a large group of people, assembled around a singular event.

The event is tied to the social and cultural identity of place.

This place is important enough to preserve its physical fabric and sustain its cultural importance.

Beyond Historic Preservation, what is the role of new architecture in the engagement and enhancement of that experience?

The 'main event' creates opportunities for other events and smaller cultural experiences also embedded in the identity of the urban culture.
What are these events?
What is the role of architecture?
What are limitations placed upon it by its existing context?

Actual Site:
Neighborhood surrounding Fenway Park, Boston, MA.

This is a landmark with in the historical stadiums.  The culture of New England that surrounds this area is so strong needs to be sustained.  Each person has the New England culture embedded in them, and is in some way drawn to the ‘Fenway’ event.

No comments:

Post a Comment